Thursday, July 12, 2012

Alzheimer's Quilt Exhibit Scheduled at Anne Amie Vineyards

"Wine Country" by Sharon Morton, North Olmsted, Ohio
During a recent visit to Anne Amie Vineyards in Carlton, Oregon, I noticed an art display on a small wall right next to the wine tasting bar. I asked about the display and learned the wall was used for a rotating display of art. Local artists and artisans displayed works ranging from paintings to handmade banjos. So I asked if it would be possible to display some of the Alzheimer's quilts I'd collected in the future, and the response was an enthusiastic "yes!"
"Force of Nature" by Sandra Lee Ellison, Richmond, California
The exhibit will include several of the quilts I've collected from the Alzheimer's Art Quilt Initiative (AAQI), including a quilt I just purchased yesterday - "Wine Country" by Sharon Morton of North Olmsted, Ohio - and the quilts will be on display in September and October, 2012. Unlike most of the other exhibits at Anne Amie, the works will not be for sale, but the display will promote the charity and will include information about how to donate and purchase other quilts through AAQI. I've only been collecting these quilts for a short period, so I'm hoping this exhibit will be the first of many.



If you live in Oregon and haven't been to Anne Amie, it's definitely worth a visit. The vineyard is a beautiful place, set in the rolling hills of the Willamette Valley, a region known for its outstanding wines. I first discovered their Pinot Gris a few years ago when my mother was coming to visit. Her best friend of over 75 years is named Anne, and the French word "amie" translates to friend. I thought the wine would be worth a try, and it's been a favorite of ours ever since.

I'd like to thank the fine folks at Anne Amie for their willingness to host this display of quilts. When I brought in some of the quilts for a quickie show-and-tell, vineyard employees and visitors were all charmed by the quilts. So, stay tuned for more details...

4 comments:

  1. Fabulous! Does that mean Shhhh... will be there? I will have to see if I can get over there to see it when I take Chloe back to school. I'll have to figure out where Carlton is!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I'm planning on including that quilt. Carlton is just beyond Lafayette. Go past the Big schoolhouse where they sell the antiques, and when you get through town back into farmland, there will be a sign for the winery and it's a right hand turn and up the road. Easy to find, and worth the trip - beautiful place!

      Delete
  2. You are so clever Bill! If you are looking for any more AAQI quilts I could temporarily part with the four I own for the exhibit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome! Thank you, and I'll let you know. You will be represented either way, because I've got "No Rhyme or Reason" and I'm planning to include it. :)

      Delete