Monday, July 16, 2012

Antiques Expo!

Mom loves silver. She was like a kid in a candy store at the Expo!
Yesterday, Mom and I went to the Palmer Wirfs Antiques Expo at the Portland Metropolitan Expo Center. The Antiques Expo takes place three times a year in Portland, and at other locations throughout the year. It's been called America's largest antique and collectibles show, and with 1400 booths, I believe them! I try to get there whenever I'm around, but rarely find any quilts. Didn't find any today, either, but Mom found a few things. As always, there was lots to see!

In the summer, there are vendors outside.
...but most of the action is inside...
Tramp art box. I love tramp art, but have never bought any.
I think it's Navajo, but the Tumbling Block design surprised me!
If I didn't collect quilts, I'd collect pinball machines.
This quilt was kind of interesting. There were socks in some of the blocks.  
Of course, I had to ask if the Pomeranians were for sale. They weren't.
Before I went in to the show, I stopped off at the "appraisal booth" and visited with Kathleen "Kitty" Victor, who has been very encouraging over the years. Before I had much contact with the world of quilts, I would go to Expo, share quilts with Kitty, and she would always encourage me to keep going with it. In fact, she was really the first person who said I should publish a book. Much has happened since we first met, and a lot of things happened since the last time we'd seen each other. I brought a couple quilts for show and tell, and Kitty got to meet Mom. All in all, a great day. Lots of eye candy, lots of fun, and I'm already looking forward to the next show.

No comments:

Post a Comment